Assalamualaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh😊
Are you learning English in school? What do you think about English? I am sure you must like it. Learning English is enjoyable. You can learning English with happy feeling because English can make us feel happy when we study it. Don’t be bored to study English. Just enjoy it. Okey.
Well, in this occasion, I will give explanation about Countable and Uncountable Nouns.
Do you ever hear about this material before? If you are not, please pay attention my explanation about this material and read this material carefully. Oke, check this out.
Countable and uncountable nouns
You will learn about countable and uncountable nouns. but before you continue the lesson, look at the following chart and study the nouns.
Countable nouns (count nouns):
Countable nouns have a singular and a plural form. In plural, these nouns can be used with a number- they can be counted. (That’s why they are called “countable nouns”).
1 friend, 2 friends, 3 friends…
1 book, 2 books, 3 books…
Countable nouns take many.
100 friends – many friends
Uncountable nouns (uncount / non-count nouns):
Uncountable nouns can only be used in singular. These nouns cannot be used with a number- they can’t be counted. (That’s why they are called “uncountable nouns”).
I have a lot of money. (Not 1000 money)
You say I drink a lot of milk. (Not 5 milk)
Uncountable nouns take much.
100 money – much money
Note: Of course you can count money, milk, meat; but then you would use the currency, liter, kilo, glass,…and say that you have got:
- 5 euros or dollars… (but not 5money).
- 2 liters, pints, glasses… of milk (but not 2 milk)
- 3 kilos… of meat (but not 3 meat)
- 10 bottles of mineral water… (but not 10 mineral water)
Grammar Exercise – Countable and Uncountable Nouns
Decide whether these nouns are countable (C) or uncountable (U)
- The children are playing in the garden.
- I don’t like milk.
- I prefer tea.
- Scientists say that the environment is threatened by pollution.
- My mother uses butter to prepare cakes.
- There are a lot of windows in our classroom.
- We need some glue to fix this vase.
- The waiters in this restaurant are very professional.
- My father drinks two big glasses of water every morning.
- The bread my mother prepares is delicious.
- Drivers must be careful; the road is slippery.
- Some policemen are organizing road traffic to avoid any accidents.
- I bought three bottles of mineral water for our picnic.
- I’d like some juice please!
- Successful candidates will join the camp later this year.
- A rise in oil prices is inevitable since there is more and more world demand for energy.
- The exercises on this website are interesting.
- Dehydrated babies must drink a lot of water.
- Adult illiterates learn through a special government program.
- I met some nice people when I was walking along the beach.
- C 2. U 3. U 4. C 5. U 6. C 7. U 8. C 9. C 10. U
- C 12. C 13. C 14. U 15. C 16. U 17. C 18. U 19. C 20. C
I think my explanation about the point above is enough. If you have a question about the grammar rule I have just explained just now, you can write a comment in the comment form below. I will feel happy to answer your question or may be if you have suggestion or correction about it, you can also write a comment.